RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - 💥 UPDATED 07-24-21

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
fhuppert
Based: KSCX
Tail Number: N532XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL / Instrument Airplane

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 01-28-21

Post by fhuppert »

I had a recent short communication with Jason Russel of Discovery Aviation and asked him when they thought they would be back in business at their new location. His Response:

Fred
Based upon progress and FAA audits, August 2021.
Jason

Based on FAA audits. I'm not sure if that encouraging or not.
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

The FAA Audit = as I understand the explanation from the folks at the FAA, who we have been in contact with regarding the Discovery shutdown, this audit is essentially a paperwork traceability exercise (as opposed to a financial audit).

Discovery (and any supplier of FAA approved certified parts) must be able to prove to the FAA that they have good & proper paperwork trails on every part in their inventory, to prove that these parts were in fact manufactured and/or supplied by FAA certified suppliers. If they can't provide that proof, then the part gets disqualified and may not be sold as a certified part.

If the paperwork for all the parts was kept somewhat together during the mothballing and then unpacking process, I imagine that all the dots could be re-connected without too much delay. However if the records were misplaced or lost, then it could be a lengthy process.

If Discovery were being proactive about this, they would be advising all owners and the aviation media on what they were doing. Instead they continue to just lay low and keep us all in the dark. Perhaps they think that simply re-launching their old website will cure the claim that they are not supporting the Certificate. It won't.

As my old Chinese customer in Indonesia said to me the other day when I told him the latest news about Discovery relaunching their old website with the old guard apparently still at the helm - New bottle, same old wine. I agree.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

This is all great news. Another mechanic friend said he got a hold of them in FL a few weeks ago...so indeed a group of investors seems to be resurrecting Discovery Aviation....which is great news. Hope the Skunk Works project is coming along too.

brad
Julietniner
Based: AU
Tail Number: CZU
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by Julietniner »

Hi People any further news !?
bobbailey
Based: London UK
Tail Number: N518XL

Post by bobbailey »

Hi all from the UK. Any further news on Discovery or the independent website?
rschutz
Based: KPDK
Tail Number: N566XL
Certificates Held: Private

Post by rschutz »

Does anybody know the status of the FAA audit or know who to contact at the FAA?
N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by N645XL »

Status updates would be nice.
XL2driver

Post by XL2driver »

Apologies to all for the delay in getting back to you, I've been working on my house to get it sold and it's been a full time project for the past few months.

I've made a call to my contact at the MLB Airport Authority this morning and am waiting for them to get back to me, and I will make another call to the FAA today to find out what going on with Discovery from their side, and then I'll get back to you all.

As for the support website I was working on, after putting in a lot of hours working on it for a couple of months as I had to shelve the project while I worked on my house to get it sold. I do plan to get back to building the website as soon as I can get the house sale completed. Can't say when they will happen but it has to be soon as far as I am concerned, within a few weeks at most.
Just FYI regarding participation in the building of the support website - I made a forum post a few months ago asking owners to email me their articles, stories, tips and advice that could be posted onto the support website, as I felt that would increase the participation level from everyone. Unfortunately I received zero response, not a single contribution. Which is disappointing to say the least. I get the feeling that there are just a handful of XL-2 owners who are willing & able to step up and contribute to making such a support website work, and that isn't going to be enough to make it fly.
Nevertheless, I did accept a $1,000 investment from one very generous owner in January to go towards building the support website, and I remain committed to doing that, albeit way late. Mea culpa, what can I say, financial issues pressured me to get other things done.

I'll make another post here with an update on Discovery after I hear back from the MLB Airport Authority and the FAA.
Cheers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
bobbailey
Based: London UK
Tail Number: N518XL

Post by bobbailey »

Hi guys, my previous attempt to post something here seems to have disappeared into the ether, so having another go.
I've had a response from Jason Russell about needing a Friction Base & friction pads for our Liberty in the UK, N518XL S/N 0013. He responded to the email address I used, after Ivan Shaw interceded on my behalf. THE EMAIL ADDRESS I USED HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM HERE BUT IF ANYONE WANTS IT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME. Ivan said in communicating with Jason, please remember Jason doesn't own the company, isn't getting paid & lost his job like everyone else. I've had a couple of emails from Jason & the text below is an amalgamation of these:

'Discovery Aviation has spent the last 6 months relocating to new facilities. I am working with the business owners and the FAA to put in place the necessary processes and supplier approvals to get part manufacturing set back up, including fabrication of life limited components. Please telegraph this through the owner's network. We have moved Discovery into a new manufacturing facility and have a better opportunity of building aircraft and product now.

I would appreciate if individuals contact me separately so I can address specific concerns. As I am the only employee right now, the majority of my time is building the business to make sure what we have spares that I can conform and supply to the fleet.

I am stock taking this month and next month so should have a better feel for what items we need to work with the FAA to have manufactured as a priority. From the stock take I have completed, there are no available tail-plane drive lugs, so these are at the forefront of the remanufacturing campaign.
I will check to see if we have( Friction bases) P/N 135A-40-303, 135A-04-727, and 135A-40-555 Friction Pads available.
Check the SN of your nose leg (part marked on the leg) to see what is applicable (look at the white part of leg between support bosses, or, on the end of the leg.

(Regarding production of spares) The main issue the FAA has is the approval of parts manufactured out of the production system. This will need some level of certitude before it can be used on an aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate.

I have discussed the possibility of supplying drawings to the customers to have parts made, with the FAA and the business owners. The FAA are looking into the viability of that to ensure that the parts made meet type design. I will let you know how that transpires. In addition there is the liability issue relating to supplying drawings that the business owners are dealing with. If I can get through both 'gates', the drawings will be made available'.
XL2driver

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 07-24-21

Post by XL2driver »

Thank you for that update Bob, much appreciated by all I'm sure.

I was also about to post an update after hearing back from the MLB Airport Authority and the FAA over the past few days, and my update concurs with what Jason has stated -

- MLB Airport Authority - I spoke to them on Thursday 7/22 and they confirmed that Discovery had taken back possession of all their assets, had moved everything out of the buildings on the airport, and had moved them to a new location (he didn't know where).

- FAA - came back to me on Thursday & Friday and confirmed that they are in contact with Discovery and that Discovery are definitely in the process described by Jason, namely going through the re-certification (?) process of their inventory in order to quantify the conforming parts they can supply to owners. jason's message details more of this process as per your post.
When I asked the FAA how long this 're-certification' process would take, they couldn't say as that will be determined by how quickly Discovery can get their side of things completed.
I also requested that the FAA ask Discovery to communicate more with ALL Xl-2 owners on a regular basis, so that owners are kept up to date on current developments with the factory and not just left out in the dark as has happened over the past year+. The FAA said they would 'encourage' Discovery to do this.

All in all it sounds like Discovery are making an effort to get back up and running at least to the point of supplying parts, so that's a good thing. They just need to communicate more about what's going on.

As you said and as requested by Jason - owners should email him directly with their requests so that he can put together an AOG parts list as a priority. Not sure why they / you can't post the email address to use.

Over & out for now.
Maintain VSO+1