Rebirth of Discovery Aviation ?

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
bobbailey
Based: London UK
Tail Number: N518XL
Certificates Held: PPL

Rebirth of Discovery Aviation ?

Post by bobbailey »

Hi Guys,
Just wondered if anyone had any info on Discovery getting back up & running, at least for manufacture of spares. A while ago Jason R indicated that things were moving along for a 'rebirth' in the 1st quarter of 2022. He said had new premises, a new backer (?) and had control back of some spares. Well things seem to have gone very quiet again, he had responded to an email from me some months back but since that I've had no response to a couple of ( very polite) enquiries.

We need a friction base, ours is v worn & we now have a significant nose-wheel shimmy problem. Jason told me previously that he hasn't got any friction bases.

Ivan Shaw, the XL2's designer here in the UK told us about a heavy damping grease that would work, we got some & indeed it did work for many hours but now the problem has re-appeared.

If anyone has any info on the Discovery situation or has progressed the idea floated earlier about approaching the original supplier of the friction base ( v expensive for small numbers I recall) I'd be grateful for an update.

Bob Bailey N518XL London UK
zspitzer
Site Admin
Based: KMGJ
Tail Number: N57NY
Certificates Held: PPL, IR

Re: Rebirth of Discovery Aviation ?

Post by zspitzer »

I don't have anything productive to add, but I saw this article in Plane and Pilot last month.

To misquote a misquote, I hope the rumors of Liberty/Discovery's death are greatly exaggerated...
Attachments
Scan Apr 27, 2022.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
stever
Based: Melb AU
Tail Number: N
Certificates Held: RPL

Post by stever »

Bob, Do you have any details of the "heavy dampening grease"?
bobbailey

Post by bobbailey »

Hi Stever,

Sorry, only just seen this. It's manufactured by Nye Lubricants in the US & it's product number is PG-44A. We got it from their UK partner https://shop.newgatesimms.com/product/pg-44a/. You'll be able to deal direct with Nye, they have a website. Hope it works for you !
Let me know how you get on. Regards, Bob
bobbailey

Post by bobbailey »

I asked Ivan Shaw, the XL2 designer here in the UK whether he had any info to add on Discvery Aviation. He's just replied & apparently there was some Russian money coming on stream, then Putin invaded the Ukraine. I can only presume that this has been embargoed & that's prevented JR making any progress.
Ivan couldn't help any further.
N533XL
Based: KJGG
Tail Number: N533XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by N533XL »

Here is the latest info from Jason as of this morning specifically about the two 500 hour life limited parts (nlg pin and lug attachments).
- have completed the onsite audits and paperwork necessary to company-approve the supplier in detail
- working on the PO, Qty and details with the supplier
- from the discussion on Tuesday with the supplier and their QA dept, it looks like they have an open window as well, so things are aligning
- discussion later today with the FAA to ensure that our compliance aspects are met in detail
- as soon the deposit from the owner is received, the PO can be placed and we can get the first articles completed
- the only hold-up has always been funding from the owner, have been informed that this will change for the better shortly