EXHAUST CRACK

Discussion off all the ADs.
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

EXHAUST CRACK

Post by paulmilo »

With 450hrs odd on the clock, I have just joined the cracked exhaust club. Just wondering if anyone has discovered an enduring solution to the problem?

Looking at Brad's solution on this site, it looks like Dawley just welded it up and added some reinforcement strips to the area. Anyone else had success with that a long-term solution?

(edit: via Brad - I believe that his solution was more than just welding up the area, they rebuilt the exhaust including baffles)

Cheers,
Attachments
Exhaust3.jpg
Exhaust3.jpg (83.94 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Exhaust1.jpg
Exhaust1.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Last edited by paulmilo on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Re: EXHAUST CRACK

Post by XL2driver »

Paul - as you hinted - Dawley have a good bit of experience with this issue.
I'd contact them and ask if they would be able to provide you with instructions that an Aussie-based aviation weld-shop might be able to follow to make suitable repairs. Maybe they can even refer you to a shop in Aus that they have worked with in the past.

Having said that, my past experience with Dawley is that they usually do a complete re-build on an exhaust that arrives with cracking this bad, and rightly so - if the exhaust has experienced cracking this severe, it's possible that the related metal may have been weakened but not yet visible to the naked eye, and therefore liable to crack itself in the near future.

I spent a good bit of time with Larry Dawley & Scott at the Dawley plant some years ago, and I was extremely impressed with their attention to detail and customer service ethos. Tell them I sent you if you haven't been in touch with them already, that shouldn't get you in to too much trouble and they will steer you right.
http://www.dawleyaviation.com/

Disclaimer: Remember I am not an A&P nor do I pretend to be one. My suggestions related to any maintenance items are based purely on the practical maintenance solutions that were garnered during my personal experience of flying the XL-2 for over 1,500 hours countrywide in the USA. Every individual situation has it's own peculiarities and your experience may be different. Cheers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

Much appreciated, thanks Paul.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

Dawley is a super outfit. My muffler came back looking like new after they reconditioned it for a failed internal baffle (not a crack).
After 1175 hours...never had a muffler crack....only internal baffle failure.

Best...b

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

Thanks Brad,

I did email them and they were pretty responsive and offered a new exhaust for about 1800USD plus freight. I asked if they are modified or come reinforced and they said no. I think the one you had rebuilt came back with reinforcement.

I’m getting mine welded up by a shop here in Australia for about $600AUD. I’ll get they reinforced but I suspect my propeller may be the real cause. I tried to get it dynamically balanced and we couldn’t get it done, I think it was show8ng 20 IPS or whatever units they measure in. It’s either the prop, maybe the mounts or my LAME suggested it could even be the alternator that is out of balance.

I’ll do the mounts and prop first and see how that goes.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

For now, I have opted for a $200AUD/$149USD repair from an aero welder. Just getting it stress relieved which will cost another $125AUD, so not a terrible outcome. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. I plan to get the prop overhauled as well and then dynamically balanced to try and reduce any residual vibration.
Attachments
B02B3367-1F4D-42A4-9DC0-8B1DCA10A58D.jpeg
B02B3367-1F4D-42A4-9DC0-8B1DCA10A58D.jpeg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 37 times
458A3E6B-53CD-42E1-884A-6F24F20C253A.jpeg
458A3E6B-53CD-42E1-884A-6F24F20C253A.jpeg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 37 times
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia