STICK MOUNTED FLAP SWITCH

Discussion off all the ADs.
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

STICK MOUNTED FLAP SWITCH

Post by paulmilo »

I am planning to duplicate the flap switch on the stick and use a Ray Allen G205 grip, but only use the PTT and up/down buttons for the flap. I'm leaving the trim next to the throttle as that works fine. The flap irritates me on the panel- its the only thing other than entering/exiting the aircraft that does not seem to be ergonomically well positioned.

I will retain the flap on the panel for the co-pilot so I assume I will need relays etc to make all that work.

I looked on the forum but cannot find anything other than reference to someone in the UK having done it. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any advice before I go ahead and order the parts?

Thanks,

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/g205.php
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: STICK MOUNTED FLAP SWITCH

Post by GimpyPilot »

Personally I would do the trip switch before I would do the flap switch. I think it was I who mentioned that an owner in the U.K. had done custom switches using a Ray Allen grip. Send me a private message and I will share his contact information.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

Is there anything you don’t know about the XL2? I’ll shoot a PM
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

Turned out the UK gentleman has not done the mod, so if anyone else wants to chime in, please feel free.

The logic (for me) putting the flap and not the trim on the stick is as follows:

The trim is next to the throttle, easily found and generally adjusted as you adjust power, so your hand is already there and it works for me.

The flap is a stretch across the panel, generally requires that I look for it and sometimes needs to be operated when my right hand is otherwise busy with other stuff, particularly brakes. Eg: short field landing when I want to dump the flap, my hand is busy braking. Retracting flap whilst taxiing, braking. Even flying the approach, my gaze is out the front and maybe looking at airspeed, I don’t want to reach or look across to the flap switch. On take off, I like to have my hand on the throttle rather on the dash retracting the flap.

I decided not to put trim and flap on the stick to eliminate the risk of deploying flap instead of trim and as said, trim is actually is a convenient location already.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY

Post by tafisama »

Hi Paul,I like your idea.I would be happy if the position lights would be relocated closer to pilot's line of sight.As it is it's difficult to see the lights on a sunny day,it suits the passenger very well.The xl2 flap system of holding the switch is not very good in a go around situation.A Cessna type is very good.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

True...true.

However, you will find that in time you can easily count the seconds to deploy and I’m sure you have already noted that at 20, it feels like someone has pulled the hand brake. Retract is what annoys me. Like you said, last thing you need if doing a go around is to reach across and hold the switch, hence one of the benefits of being stick mounted.

There are comments on the site RE the pros and cons of a fully variable deployment. I don’t think it was ever designed so it was Infinitely variable, rather it was the cheapest way to do it I suspect. Same with the lights. There are much better systems available that are cheap that offer continuous (off to full) indications. Ours offer 3 lights based on three mechanical proximity switches. I also placed tape on the flap with different colours for 10, 20, 30 degrees so I can look outside when glare makes it hard to see the switch lights.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia