Modified Plug Tool

Discussion off all the ADs.
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Modified Plug Tool

Post by paulmilo »

Need help making or buying a suitable plug socket - thanks.

I can find references to a modified plug socket on the forum, but I am not sure whether people are just grinding the socket wall down or cutting a piece out so that it’s a type of crow foot socket so that it is not fouled when placed over the plug.

Stupid design. I cannot believe that the Continental engineers that designed the motor could not of anticipated the problem! Obviously it was not easily avoidable I suppose, otherwise I assume they would have done it.

Any pics or help appreciated.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: Modified Plug Tool

Post by GimpyPilot »

I bought a standard Champion aircraft plug socket, and put it on the lathe to turn the muzzle down so it clears. I have also just cut a notch out in the past, but the turned version works better. (Don't go overboard, or the socket will fail under load.)

I recommend that you keep a modified socket in the airplane so it's available if you have to change one on the ground at an airport other than your home field.
Last edited by GimpyPilot on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by N645XL »

I was going to the hangar to take pix of my modified spark plug socket but decided to look for the 10-year-old Joe Turnbach original instructions which I found. For those who aren't familiar with Joe T, he's one of the original XL2 A&Ps that knows the aircraft inside & out. The modified socket works great.
Attachments
IMG00116-20100503-0825.jpg
IMG00115-20100503-0825.jpg

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by tafisama »

You can use a long reach automotive Oxygen Sensor Socket 13/16.Champion spark plugs have a raised hex point making it easy with normal sockets.Somewhere on this Forum there is a Thread on Spark Plugs for the xl2.

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

I have never needed a modified socket for the plugs.