tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

Re: Starting Issues

Post by tafisama »

paulmilo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 pm
Just purchased 4 new plugs yesterday (20 May) and will fit those shortly.

Interesting point running a cool cylinder as my number 4(right side on the display) def runs cool, however I put that down to airflow more than poor spark as EGT are all equal. The cylinders get progressively cooler reading the gauge left to right.

I’ll let you know how that goes once I have made the change. Did you use a modified plug socket? Mine has quite thick walls so I was going to grind down a section as it fouls as I place it over the plug.

I had not flown for a month and the battery was way down (11.7V) at start. Normally I don’t see less than 11.9. Barely turned the prop but still managed to start.

Cheers,
I used an Automotive 7/8 oxygen sensor socket ,making sure the open end was towards the fuel injector.I bought 8 from Queensland cheap.My Annual is due from this Sunday.Yeah if it`s a normal socket it definitely needs to be ground down.

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY

Post by paulmilo »

You bought 8 sockets? LOL What do you plan to do with them?
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

I purchased plugs from my LAME, but unfortunately he did not provide Champions so I plan to return them and consequently have not tested if they would make an appreciable difference to how it starts. However.....

I read something about starting fuel injected engines on a closed throttle and thought I’d give it a go. Bingo! Starts well.

My routine now is to start with a closed throttle and then crack it after it fires. Works 100% of the time...that said, I have only tried this technique twice lol
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY

Post by tafisama »

paulmilo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:03 am
You bought 8 sockets? LOL What do you plan to do with them?
No Paul,i bought 8 spark plugs not sockets. 😂.I am grounded by the prop,should be a week more now.The good part is i have had a chance to know the aircraft during this annual inspection as i have been working with the Lame.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

LOL. 8 plugs makes more sense. Yes, I went to buy the x8 plugs from Robina in QLD also, but someone had got in before me and purchased 8 only leaving 4! I wonder who that could be? LOL You even left a review, inadvertently rubbing in the missed opportunity. They were a lot cheaper though - half the price!
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

I do the same thing...have used an oil cover for years...it keeps oil at acceptable temps in winter. I always pre-heat motor anytime temp is 35 and down. Much easier on all parts.

b