Another Prop damaged

Discussion off all the ADs.
frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Re: Another Prop damaged

Post by frfly172 »

Just got my prop back from MT Deland Fl. $1750 changed leading edge.
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Just had to order a new spinner,luckily they are made by MT ,so I’m having one shipped from Germany. Not cheap.
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

Bummer.
What happened to your old one?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

ImageThe spinner cracks around the leading screws over time the flange starts to elongate and washers won’t help.
Attachments
Spinner
Spinner
XL2driver

Post by XL2driver »

Thanks for that photo.

That's an absolutely typical problem but one that can be avoided 99% of the time.

As I believe I explained in another post of mine in the forum about XL-2 props and spinners, elongation and 'grinding out' of the holes like that is almost always caused by one or more of the following -
- No 1 Cause: incorrect washers being used under the spinner screws (such as using a metal washer or hard plastic washer instead of the required red fiber washer)
- No 2 Cause: screws being torqued down too hard, flattening the fiber washer and causing the screw head to start wearing on the spinner. (There's a set max torque limit, look for the big post about this subject in the forum, I think the correct torque number is mentioned there, along with the suggestion for buying a pre-set torque screwdriver)
- No 3 Cause: not replacing the red fiber washers when they're flattened, thin, and due for replacement,
- No 4 Cause: not checking the spinner ON EVERY PREFLIGHT in order to catch any issues early, and stop them when you still can by replacing the washers and / or repairing the screw holes.
- or a combination of the above.

The few spinners I have seen in the past that are as bad as yours, were actually successfully repaired by competent composite shops and for a fraction of the cost of a new spinner. But I guess MT in Deland don't do this (?), I might be wrong, but I'm sure you asked them anyway before ordered your new one.

I would not discard this spinner, I'd see if I could get it repaired at a local aviation composite shop and use it as a backup, or sell it on the forum.

Hope that helps for the future.

How much time does the spinner have on it? Be interesting to know.

➡️ Please remember I am not an A&P, any advice is provided without guarantee or warranty and is based on my personal experience with the XL-2 and my time working for the manufacturers.
Attachments
Set-Torque_screw_driver_web.jpg
Set-Torque_screw_driver_web.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 337 times
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

The spinner has 1980 Hobbs hours.
XL2driver

Post by XL2driver »

Gotcha thanks, well that is quite a few hours, but still, should last way longer than that.
Hope you can get it repaired or sold on the forum.
Maintain VSO+1