Milo VH-KXY
Australia

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Re: Started My Annual

Post by paulmilo »

Just wondering out loud.... if heat is potentially the cause of the cracking and ppl are diverting around the heater muff in order to extend the inspection interval, wouldn’t that then increase the heat on the muffler as it no longer has any airflow around it and thus potentially increase the risk of damage?

Also, if ppl are diverting around the muff, has anyone just removed the shroud altogether to:
1. Aid in simplifying the inspection, 10 min job rather than 1 hr
2. Improve airflow around the muffler at the point of failure

If so, has anyone incurred damage on an exhaust that has not had the shroud fitted? Would be an interesting test. I think when it gets to summer I will bypass the shroud and use the air that would otherwise be heated for extra venting in the cabin and also improve cooling of the exhaust by not having it encapsulated.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Post by Bigphoto »

Well that's exactly what I do in the Spring/Summer I bypass the muffler to get additional fresh air from feet area. Haven't removed the shroud during those time.

HilariaM
Based: KPTK
Tail Number: N637xl
Certificates Held: Student Pilot

Post by HilariaM »

By any chance does anyone have a list of parts required for an ANNUAL? We've contacted Discavia only to learn that they really don't have any annual kits (which we've purchased in past years from Liberty, then Discavia). With the list, we'd purchase from Aviall, Spruce, etc.

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

I'm not aware of an annual "kit". We usually end up moving through each of the inspection items, replacing what needs to be replaced, and servicing what needs to be serviced. I think the only annual replacement part is the backup battery. I usually do oil and filter at annual, unless I've done it very recently. Everything that needs replacing gets done wither on condition or hours.