Discussion off all the ADs.
Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Started My Annual

Post by Bigphoto »

Greetings,

This was a surprised right from the get go (see pic). Talked with Discover-Aviation they did not have any in stock and referred me to the manufacture Dawley Aviation. Called Dawley who made the mufflers for Liberty and said they could not sell me a new one since it had an agreement with Liberty/Discover-Aviation. However, said they could fix it so sent it to them and will see how that works. Probably looking at somewhere between $750 - $1000 to fix. Got back to Discover Aviation to let them know what Kurt told me and not sure who's on what sheet of music. Will let you know more when I know more and will post some pictures of the fixed muffler when I get it back.
Attachments
file-13.jpeg

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: Started My Annual

Post by GimpyPilot »

If that were mine, I'd have it welded up and repaired locally. That's not a difficult repair, and I imagine any IA would be fine with any such repair conducted by a competent welder. (Competent is important. Don't take it to an automotive muffler shop.)

Bigphoto

Post by Bigphoto »

Thanks I did send it back to the maker of the original two XL-2 muffler maker (Dawley) and they are suppose to fix it as new.....

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

BigPhoto, bugger! How many hours and out of curiosity, has your prop been dynamically balanced?

Thanks
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

Bigphoto

Post by Bigphoto »

The muffler was replaced in 2009 based on CSB09-001-B and the AD2009-08-05 and had 2112.5 hours on it when this annual started. In fact when I put the new engine on last winter everything from the firewall forward was new except for the muffler. Yes the prop was dynamically balanced back in 2009 and again in 2015 and currently the prop has 145 hours on it and I will be having it dynamically balanced again next week. Got word that it will take two weeks before they send me the muffler back so will not take aircraft to OSH this year. Ed

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

yes go to Dawley...do rebuild...its about $700...will come back with paperwork...like new. They are your best option. Did this for mine when it needed work.

Brad

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

Dawley is super...they do a great job....will be around $700. They did mine when it needed work.

Brad

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

I had my annual done today and my LAME made an interesting comment re the exhaust. He was saying you need to keep an eye out not for cracks, that’s too late, rather you need to look for bulging which will be caused by excessive heat and it then creates the stressors in the metal that then will lead to metal splitting. Once you see bulging, you can expect cracks to follow soon after.

I think that was based on experience with other aircraft with similar issues with exhausts as the Liberty. I then pulled out a pic to show him and he pointed out the bulging in the photo and suggested that bulges were not caused by the crack, rather they caused the failure.

I thought it was an interesting theory.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

Bigphoto

Post by Bigphoto »

Your mechanic has a keen eye. The bulging was a result of excess heat and mine certainly had it.

So another revelation regarding the muffler as it relates to CSB-09-001/AD now. My XL-2 muffler had the reduced sound exhausts Dawley P/N DEL 200201-003 and according to the CSB/AD you have to bypass the heater using a longer SCAT tube and placard the cabin heat has been decommissioned do not use. However if you have the Standard exhaust system Dawley P/N 200201-002 then you must inspect it every 25 hours unless you decommissioned the cabin heat then your inspection is moved to every 50 hours. Unfortunately where I live I need some heat verses no heat! So had to go back and had my muffler modified to the standard verses reduced. I change the oil every 25 hours anyway now have to add the inspection into the equation too.

Bigphoto

Post by Bigphoto »

Here is the new Reduced muffler
Attachments
file-16.jpeg