Discussion off all the ADs.
GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Attention S-tec 30 Autopilot Owners

Post by GimpyPilot »

Hi folks,

Apparently there are less than twenty of us who have the S-Tec 30 autopilot aboard. I intend to join that group this year. In speaking with Scott at Discovery, I've found that they *might* have the AP installation kit available again late this year when (if) Discovery gets the new avionics offerings squared away and starts building XL-2s again. At that point I may be able to get that kit, and license the STC. However, I already own the S-Tec System 30 stuff, and Genesys/S-Tec/Cobham have said they'll configure my parts and yellow tag the system if I get get the part numbers used in the Liberty installation. I've already got the Aspen EFD 1000 Pro in my airplane and coupled the 530W and SL-30, so I don't need to come up with a new DG or GPSS roll converter. I've asked Scott to provide this information in the meantime, but he hasn't been particularly responsive.

In the meantime, I've been in contact with our resident guru Joe T., (APInspector), who actually did most of the System Thirty installations at Liberty. He's been digging around for the information and diagrams, but hasn't been able to find it yet. (He has indicated that it's somewhere deep in his remote storage.) Joe did say that one of you who does have the system already may have the documentation as it did or should have come along with the installation.

Could you fortunate auto-pilot owners look through your aircraft documentation and get in touch with me here, if you've got any or all of the technical data that goes with the autopilot installation?

Then the last trick will be getting the install kit, (which if Discovery never builds again, I will have to have fabricated from the diagrams and PMA'd), then the STC license. If Discovery goes with something other than the System 30 for new airplanes, I might be able to get them to give me the STC license for the Thirty, but I fully expect they will stick to the same AP, and the license will be spendy. There's a slight chance that I can do it on a straight 337, but not likely, since OK CIty is apparently pretty picky about autopilot installations.

Thanks,
-Michael
berg319k9
Based: 1T8
Tail Number: N541XL
Certificates Held: Private

Re: Attention S-tec 30 Autopilot Owners

Post by berg319k9 »

Wish I could help you but I'm in the field approval process to install the Avidyne DFC90 with the Aspen 2000 system I'm putting in. I was going to go with the S-Tec 30 but ran into the same issues you're having, particularly from Discovery.
Jason Bergeron
San Antonio, TX
GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

Wow... I'd be interested in hearing about your adventures with an auto pilot field approval without an STC. The word here is that it's almost unheard of. The Avidyne DFC90 looks like a great unit, and if you pull that off, I would sell my S-TEC stuff and follow suit, as I've already got the Aspen in.

What are you doing for the servo and control fixtures?

-Michael
berg319k9
Based: 1T8
Certificates Held: Private

Post by berg319k9 »

I'll keep you posted its gonna be a long road with lots of paperwork $$$.
Jason Bergeron
San Antonio, TX
GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

Please do. I would be willing to share some of the cost, if the end result is available to me as well.
Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Post by Bigphoto »

Any updates on the DFC90 since 2013?
frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Did we ever get an update on the field approval for the DFC 90 ?
Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Post by Bigphoto »

I spoke to Jason some time ago and he abandon his quest for the DFC 90 and sold his plan shortly after that as I remember.
cmeleg
Based: M54
Certificates Held: Student

Post by cmeleg »

Bigphoto wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:38 pm I spoke to Jason some time ago and he abandon his quest for the DFC 90 and sold his plan shortly after that as I remember.
Yep - I own that bucket of bolts now ... lol
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

LOL now now, you know what they say - never talk badly about your airie if you want her to treat you nicely 😆
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1