Anyone selling an xl2?

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
Cjconnelly
Based: Kiag
Tail Number: N
Certificates Held: Student

Anyone selling an xl2?

Post by Cjconnelly »

Greetings! I am a student pilot expecting to get my ppl soon ... the school I attend has recently agreed to sell their entire fleet (warriors and diamonds) so my plan to buy a plane once i got my certificate, has been escalated .... I keep coming back to the liberty to meet my mission, and am looking to buy immediately ... please feel free to contact me directly at chris@graniteshop1.com
frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Re: Anyone selling an xl2?

Post by frfly172 »

I have mine listed on Facebook aircraft for sale.
Cjconnelly

Post by Cjconnelly »

Thank you I didn’t know that fb group even existed...
I could only find one which appears to be sold,? Could you send me a link?
GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

I assume you found the one on Trade-A-Plane?
Cjconnelly

Post by Cjconnelly »

Yes thanks ! that one is certainly loaded up with avionics.. I am in buffalo ny and this being my first airplane I was hoping to find one a little closer...
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Just checked out face book and I’m still listed under the group airplanes for sale.
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Rant ,I was selling my liberty serial 095
. Lost the sale due to continental not supporting the fadec engine. They have no rebuilt motors available and don’t know when they will be producing any new ones. Just giving everyone a heads up of things to come.
GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

So, what happens if you order an IOF-240-B5B? Do they simply refuse to build it for you? This is a new development. When I sold my XL-2 last year, I did some of the footwork with TCM to be able to answer these questions and was told that lead times might be extended, but that they could and would build to order as needed.
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Right now they are considering restarting the line but have not come up with a start time.
Glideslope
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N527XL
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by Glideslope »

For whatever it's worth, I had Corona Engines overhaul mine in late 2019 instead of going through Continental / Air Power who wanted twice as much for a rebuild and didn't have them available anyways. The only real issue you will face is in overhauling the fuel system and you won't get new FADEC replacements (but you can have them made at a stupid price).

All in, it was around 23 to 25K to get a total rebuilt engine by one of the best in the business sans the FADECs which I have never had an issue with (fingers crossed). I noticed a big difference in the rebuild and how rowdy the plane became. I've had to adjust my power settings a bit to stay on approach and pattern speeds as our planes don't like slowing down (especially with the new motor). I consistently cruise at 130 KTAS @ 6000, 60% power. The performance to cost ratio for me was a no-brainer.

As far as I know, the IO-240B motor is still in production so almost all of the parts for an engine rebuild are available. The FADEC introduces some issues in the fuel system so there are some workarounds the shop will need to perform if Continental can't provide. Ben at Corona Motors did a superb job but it took almost 3 months. That part sucked for sure..but worth it.

In terms of TBO cost it doesn't get much cheaper than that. With new engine, avionics and cost of airplane I am still cheaper than a high time, analog DA20 which isn't even IFR certified (the only real competitor to our aircraft in the certified, non LSA category). Think the guy who walked away from your sale should understand that just because they aren't producing the full FADEC motor anymore doesn't mean you can't get what you want. You just have to be willing to go through some extra steps and be patient.