XL2 Parts availability.

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
tmpendergrass
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N143AL
Certificates Held: CSEL IR

XL2 Parts availability.

Post by tmpendergrass »

I am in the process of purchasing an XL2. Finding information about these planes has been challenging at best. I've heard good things about them but I've also heard horror stories about planes being scrapped because a chip in the VM1000 failed or a specific part wasn't available.

Also it appears Discovery's website is inactive and their only web presence is on Facebook which hasn't been updated in a couple years? Is it even possible to get parts for these aircraft anymore?

Thanks

Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Re: XL2 Parts availability.

Post by Bigphoto »

You have come to the right place we hold almost all the knowledge you will need to know. Also this website has almost everything on it that you need to know and some parts we have sourced from others. You should review all the files and threads so you get a good understanding. DON'T BELIEVE all the stories you've heard this is where truth from fiction lives! Good luck....

tmpendergrass

Post by tmpendergrass »

Bigphoto wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:40 pm
You have come to the right place we hold almost all the knowledge you will need to know. Also this website has almost everything on it that you need to know and some parts we have sourced from others. You should review all the files and threads so you get a good understanding. DON'T BELIEVE all the stories you've heard this is where truth from fiction lives! Good luck....
Would you by chance know of a mechanic in the Socal area willing to do a pre buy?

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Almost any problem you may be concerned about has probably been covered in previous posts. There is plenty to read. If you have a specific question ask away. And also. Welcome to the group.

tmpendergrass

Post by tmpendergrass »

I’m glad it seems people arn’t having much of a problem keeping these planes flying. The manuals and documents on this forum are extensive and I’ve downloaded all of the for my personal library.

My main question is really, which discovery’s website and phone completely out of commission, if I need a part, who do I call?

tmpendergrass

Post by tmpendergrass »

Also, I see on here that the overhaul costs $45k. A field overhaul of a standard iO240 should be in the $20k-$25k.
Is the added cost for a liberty overhaul due to all the FADEC stuff needing to be replaced?

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

The fadec system is worth the price of an overhaul of the standard IO 240.

tmpendergrass

Post by tmpendergrass »

I’m aware of that. But is the fadec system nessecary for overhaul if it’s not broken? (Part 91)

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

YES,,,,they require most of it to be replaced I think at TBO....but who knows.

Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Post by Bigphoto »

tmpendergrass wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 am
I’m aware of that. But is the fadec system nessecary for overhaul if it’s not broken? (Part 91)
Continental factory will either rebuild or factory new an IO-240-B5 FADEC engine and included is providing you the buyer all the FADEC part/systems to ensure that everything works. I am unaware of anyone finding anyone or any shop that has rebuilt and IO-240 FADEC engine only without replacing the ECUs, wire harness and other associated parts that make up the FADEC system. If there has been someone they will call me out and provide information. The FADEC system is included with the factory rebuilt/new system.

If the engine you had rebuilt and did not have the FADEC system exchanged and there were issues with your aircraft and now your having to trouble shoot is it an engine issue or a FADEC issue? Of course you can always order separate parts for the FADEC but probably cheaper to get everything replaced at one time and that's the route I went.