Avionics list growing

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Avionics list growing

Post by paulmilo »

Looks like we are getting a growing list of replacement avionics for the XL2. Apart from the Aspen, we now have the G5 and the G3X also lists the XL2 on the STC!

I was looking at the Avionix Av30 as it retains the look of the panel that I happen to like, however with the Garmin G3X I could be persuaded away from the Avionix. Not a fan of the G5 only because it means you end up with a mix of old and new, but the G3X would provide a very consistent feel to the panel. I’d probably want to fly something with that panel though as I’m still not sold.

Anyone used the G3X and want to share your experience?
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY

Re: Avionics list growing

Post by tafisama »

Paul the AV30 is okay for VFR only.Yaa I have been looking at the G3X touch as well.It will be more reasonable to go that way.The G500 which is in the newer xl2s is now a bit outdated and pricey if you compare with this G3X touch.
Good to hear the xl2 is now on the list.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

I’m only NVFR anyway and never plan to go IFR as I don’t want to upgrade the GPS and I don’t think I’d want to do hard IFR in the Liberty without an auto pilot anyway. I am liking the idea of the G3 though.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

Gents,

I've got a G3X Touch in my new aircraft, (an RV-7A). Apparently there are some slight differences between the certified and experimental versions, beyond price which is nearly double for the tagged version. It is in fact a wonderful, nearly complete glass panel. (I've got a Dynon D-6 backup EFIS as well, however I'll likely move to either a G5 or a second G3x Touch. The G3x Touch does have a built in GPS source, however there's a GTN 650 in my stack for IFR Navigation as well. (I prefer the IFD 540 from my XL-2, but the all Garmin integration is great.)

Keep in mind that the way Garmin does STCs, i would be surprised if they have actually installed it in an XL-2 or even looked at what it actually takes to do so. Whoever does it first will likely be blazing a trail. There's a lot behind the XL-2 panel and the G3x Touch components do take considerable space in an avionics bay, or directly behind the panel.

Let me know if I can offer any additional insight.

-Michael
Last edited by GimpyPilot on Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

Thanks Michael,

I will be a while before making the change anyway, just researching now so I don’t rush and make a mistake when I need to do it as I’m waiting for the AH to fail which I am sure it will do within 24mths lol
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

Glideslope
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N527XL

Post by Glideslope »

I love my G5 setup. I looked at the G3X and actually quoted it out. It was waaaaaay more expensive to put in our planes and like Michael said, you would be blazing a trail trying to do one. The G5 doesn't require the space or panel cutout so from an installation perspective you will save a lot of time and money sticking with options like the G5 or Aspen. I get everything I need from the dual G5 setup and added with the Flightstream 210, my flight planning and en-route navigation is far more efficient.

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Glad to see the list of avionics growing,I’m still happy with my panel and I do a good deal of IFR flying. I have the 430/530w aspen pro and Stec 30 upgraded the transponder to 330 es for ADSB out.