Oil Drops

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
cirimj82
Based: KTKI
Tail Number: N583XL
Certificates Held: Commercial Multi/Single CFI, CFII, MEI

Oil Drops

Post by cirimj82 »

I am a new owner and loving the aircraft so far. I noticed that there are few drops of oil on the ground after every time I use it. The oil is coming from a silver tube just forward of the landing gear. I know continental engines leak oil but I just wanted to make sure this is normal. FYI, I usually keep about 5.5 quarts in it.

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: Oil Drops

Post by N645XL »

Sounds like the oil breather tube doing what it does. I cut a 3/4” hole in the cap of a small Gator Aid bottle and hang a Remove Before Flight streamer on the bottle. I then slide it up a bit on the breather tube. Collects the oil drips and eliminates the mess. I stick it in the open spot behind my seat next to the door for in-flight storage. Or you can install an Air/Oil Separator.

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by tafisama »

I used to have that same problem.I hated it because the belly was getting oil stain,strains as well.The way i solved it,was following a suggestion put on this Forum.If you have an oil cooler,keep your oil at 5qtz not anything above.The xl2 does not use iol at all depending on the condition of your engine.When i first did i was worried but guess what I flew for 5 hours and only needed about a quarter of a qrt.Since then I keep it below 5.5qrt and guess what the belly is free of oil.Its clean.

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

I don’t fill above 5Qt as it just blows it overboard. Both Lycoming and continentals will blow oil out via the oil breather tube, quite normal.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N605XL

Post by GimpyPilot »

The other option is to install an air-oil separator, as I did. I oil consumption has been at zero ever since. Don't get the Mini-Sep which was at one time available from Liberty, to be mounted between the ECUs. It is a sealed unit and can't be maintained. I went with an Airwolf, mounted behind the rear baffle. It's a much better unit, and is serviceable.

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

Just put a paint roller pan under the tube...assuming you are in a hangar...works fine.

b

GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

BRADLOUTH wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:01 pm
Just put a paint roller pan under the tube...assuming you are in a hangar...works fine.
That certainly works, however it doesn't reduce oil consumption nor does it prevent oiling of the bottom of the aircraft in flight. For me, the separator is well worth not having to deal with those two issues.
Last edited by GimpyPilot on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

I have an air / oil separator but you still get some oil drips. Use Aeroshell oil/exhaust cleaner to get oil off underbelly every 10 hours.
Easy to do.

GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

BRADLOUTH wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:09 pm
I have an air / oil separator but you still get some oil drips. Use Aeroshell oil/exhaust cleaner to get oil off underbelly every 10 hours.
Easy to do.
My Airwolf separator, installed behind the rearmost engine baffle, "stopped the drops" entirely. My aircraft's belly stays clean of oil, and oil consumption is virtually unmeasurable.