Video: 914 Turbo Rotax-Powered XL-2 (flying version) - 2008 Sebring Airshow

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Video: 914 Turbo Rotax-Powered XL-2 (flying version) - 2008 Sebring Airshow

Post by XL2driver »

Since some of you were asking about the Rotax engine options, I dug up this video that I took of my good Liberty colleague Randy Burnley, briefly telling us about the 914 Turbo Rotax-powered XL-2 at the 2008 Sebring airshow.
(Note the banner in the background with some of the specs of the aircraft.)

That aircraft was flown over to the show from Melbourne by Tommi Guess, one of the female pilots at Liberty who did quite a bit of the test flying of this project aircraft (Tommi is now Deputy Chief of Flight Test at Sikorsky). As I recall, Tommi said she decided to pull the power back a bit when she quickly reached 140 kts in the cruise at about 5,000 ft, on the way over to the show :D

As you can see from the video, at that time Liberty had made significant progress towards the development of an XL-2 with a Rotax engine. We even had two buyers who wanted to give us deposits at the show for the aircraft, but as it was "just a prototype to gauge interest", we couldn't oblige them. We did however, report back to the company that we had received a great response from prospects at the show, and we recommended that they go ahead with it.

A few months later, the company decided that a Rotax conversion was going to be too costly & time consuming, and they ditched the project. The Rotax project was revived again just a few years ago, but not completed before shutdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIuiQD_J-O4
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Re: Video: 914 Turbo Rotax-Powered XL-2 (flying version) - 2008 Sebring Airshow

Post by frfly172 »

Looks like it could be a good option,I’d be interested .

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

I’d rather pay to have this over the continental when it comes to pull it down. I’d even put the aircraft on the experimental register in Oz if that was an option! Shame it will never fly.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tmpendergrass
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N143AL
Certificates Held: CSEL IR

Post by tmpendergrass »

Would it be possible/practical for a group of aircraft owners to invest in getting an STC done for something like this?

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Not sure it would be financially feasible. The turnover rate of owners seems to be increasing.

Crashnburn5590
Based: KRHV
Tail Number: N
Certificates Held: Student Pilot

Post by Crashnburn5590 »

Thanks for the thread. I've posted on a few other threads about wanting to convert an XL from the Continental to a Rotax for the weight and fuel savings, but if it's too expensive for Discovery, it's way too expensive for me!