RE:Spare prop

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

RE:Spare prop

Post by tafisama »

Hello folks,does anyone have a spare MT prop in good condition for sale.I need one urgently.

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY

Re: RE:Spare prop

Post by paulmilo »

Out of curiosity - what is the issue with your current prop?

You actually have the MT repair agency in SA and they were quoting me around $1500 to overhaul - I think that will be quicker than buying a second one and probably cheaper.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tafisama

Post by tafisama »

They have quote me $2500 for the repair.The quote is via my lame.I hope he is not milking me.The issue is I bought the aircraft with the prop having a ding on the leading edge metal part.I am doing the annual and it has been sent to Southern Propellers.

tafisama

Post by tafisama »

The new one is $5400 inclusive of gst and shipping.These things arent cheap.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

Hi Tafi,

My quote was verbal over the phone and I just confirmed it by email with Todd at Southern - they were very helpful. About 12 mths ago.

They estimated it would be about $1000, plus some leading strips and freight, I estimated $1500. That said, my prop is UGLY! The prev owner had typically started it on an apron with loose stones. So mine was a genuine overhaul. PM me with your email address and I will send the photos. I think I also posted some photos on this forum somewhere.

Your aircraft actually had a brand new overhauled prop when I looked at in TSV - bugger.

If the ding was not that large, they don't necessarily have to overhaul it in any case.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Just had an overhaul from MT Deland Florida 1750.00 changed out the metal strips.

Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Post by Bigphoto »

Folks the prop from MT in Deland is spot on for the overhaul, 1750 if the metal strips have to be changed out or around 750 if they do not need to be. That was 60 days ago.

tafisama

Post by tafisama »

I have sent it for repair.That prop had less than 50hrs.The previous owner never got a chance to fly the aircraft,the one before him put this prop and unfortunately had a minor incident after about 10hrs of fitting a new prop.Yeah the leading edge strips are expensive but in my case it was only one that had a dent,unfortunately they decided to replace both.It`s two more weeks before they complete the repair.

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Make sure to get a good inspection on the metal edge, years ago I had a metal edge separation while in flight.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

WOW frfly172! Was there any sign of delamination pre separation? How out of balance was it after separation or did the engine continue to run relatively smoothly?
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia