Fuel Flow and Totalizer Built into FADEC

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Fuel Flow and Totalizer Built into FADEC

Post by N645XL »

Learn something new every day. Today was my first ever use of the original Continental FADEC software to trouble-shoot the engine. Turns out I may have had a fouled spark plug that cleared itself on the last flight. So Could Not Duplicate and all's well.

The big thing I learned is our FADEC system has built-in Fuel Flow and Fuel Totalizer functionality. It's displayed on the live data screen and I watched it work during the engine run. Now I wonder why Liberty didn't go for an engine display that would allow us to take advantage of this capability. Also wondering if the new JPI units will give us access. Some folks pay big bucks for the information and here we are ignoring it...

Anyone ever do anything with it?
Bob

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Re: Fuel Flow and Totalizer Built into FADEC

Post by paulmilo »

I noticed that fuel was an option with JPI - interesting that it is actually there and we just don’t have a display.

It would be great if you could plug in a wireless device like the OBDIi readers.

I actually use the fuel estimate on the GNS430 as a double check against the gauge, but agree that a fuel flow in flight would be nice to have. It would be interesting if the new EDM900 just plugged straight in and provided the info, but I think it expects its own fuel transducer to be used.
Last edited by paulmilo on Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia