PROPOSAL FOR AN INDEPENDENT LIBERY XL-2 SUPPORT WEBSITE

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Re: PROPOSAL FOR AN INDEPENDENT LIBERY XL-2 SUPPORT WEBSITE

Post by Bigphoto »

I just download lots of documents that should pretty much cover almost everything that discovery aviation had on their website prior to it going down. A couple that I had not had I got from Grimpypilot. Zspitzer sorry if I just cause your system to slow down...lol

zspitzer
Site Admin
Based: KMGJ
Tail Number: N57NY
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL, IA

Post by zspitzer »

Bigphoto wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:24 pm
I just download lots of documents that should pretty much cover almost everything that discovery aviation had on their website prior to it going down. A couple that I had not had I got from Grimpypilot. Zspitzer sorry if I just cause your system to slow down...lol
Wow, you had a healthy archive! Thanks for uploading all of that!

XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

@zspitzer - there you go, that 's a start.

However, I know that from my experience of flying and selling the XL-2 over many years, and my involvement in this forum for the past 10+ years, I can assure you that there is a wealth of knowledge both in maintenacne and operations that is not being made available to owners. Much of that information is housed in the brains of other expeienced XL-2 owners and A&P's like Joe Turbach, so I'm not just talking about what I know.

Some of the XL-2 "knowledge base" is covered on this forum, but there is way more information to be had that has never been properly laid out clearly in this platform, or never mentioned or explained at all. It's the old case of "you don't know what you don't know" until you learn more about the subject, then you realize how little you know. No offense to anyone intended.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to set up a really robust website & resource support center for XL-2 owners, from the geneal feedback and from what I see happening in this forum over the past year or so, it appears that most owners are just happy to "go along as they are" and figure things out along the way. (Until they get into trouble, and then they cry for help.)

That's a great pity IMO, because that's exactly how XL-2 operators have got themselves into trouble with maintenance problems that they can't figure out (because they simply don't know where to start diagnosing the issue or find the part), and operational issues such as running off runways, taking off with doors unlatched, putting holes in rudders, making hard landings, and many other issues that XL-2 owners & operators have experienced, almost all of them totally avoidable if they had known what they were doing in the first place. Apologies if that sounds roungh but it's the truth. It was frankly astounding the number of times while at the factory, we would hear about XL-2 owners doing things like making hard landings or bending nose gearlegs and running off short runways, only to discover on proper investigation into the incident that they were woefully untrained and ill-prepared for the situation that they had gotten themselves into. And then they wondered why it happened (and often tried to blame it on the aircraft, as if the aircraft should have some magical power to protect them from doing foolish things with an aircraft.)

Will all due respect to zspitzer, having a place to upload & download maintenance files is of benefit if that's all owners want to get, but that is not anywhere close to what I was referring to when I tried to describe the resorce center I was envisioning. So clearly I didn't explain myself very well.

And very frankly, if owners think that $120- per YEAR is too much for access to a complete maintenance & operational resource website to properly support the IFR Certified aircraft that they own, then clearly there is a huge disconnect between XL-2 owners and the value of an efficient XL-2 supply chain (including the knowledge supply chain), in which case I am totally wasting my time on pursuing this idea for a moment longer.

What I'm proposing and trying to accomplish, is entirely aimed at preserving the integrity of the XL-2 community, and preserving the value of Xl-2 aircraft. If those things are of little importance to XL-2 owners, that I'm barking up the wrong tree.

The writing is on the wall folks. What are you going to do to protect yourselves? ...

Let the comments fly.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

zspitzer
Site Admin

Post by zspitzer »

I don't mean to take the wind out of your sail, or to compete with you if you want to make the site you're envisioning. I had been thinking of adding a file sharing section since the Discovery site went down, and your post was the kick in the butt to find an opensource program to do it. So, I appreciate the kick in the butt!

If you'd be interested, I'd be happy to setup a wordpress blog off this hosting package, or section of the forum for you to write articles / recommendations / how to's. If you want to make a separate site, that's awesome too and I'll happily throw up a link to it.

I think the more all the owners/operators/pilots talk and share, the better for us all. That's why there was the email group 15 years ago, which evolved into this web forum 12 years ago. We clearly don’t have the largest fleet, so I feel it's even more important we all come together to support each other and the type. And if there’s a better way for us to come together as a community, I’m happy to help with it.

-Zac

zspitzer
Site Admin

Post by zspitzer »

Oh and just as an aside in case anyone reads this thread and thinks that this is an official or semi-official forum connected to Liberty / Discovery. It isn't.

I have never worked for Liberty / Discovery. Or any company in the aviation industry. I work in theater. This is a nothing more than a random phpbb install on a random webhost that also hosts a bunch of other websites for me. I cannot stress how unofficial this forum is!

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

I must say, well done Zac and Paul (XL Driver). I think this forum and what Paul had suggested have significant merit, even if Discovery were properly operational and providing consistent support.

I have played in the experimental field where info sharing is generally brilliant, although I have little experience in the certified space, the Liberty being my first foray into this arena and largely because of this forum, it has been a very positive experience.

As Paul suggests, there are many hidden gems related to the aircraft and limited corporate knowledge. I was lucky to find a LAME/A&P in Oz that seemed confident to support my plane, but they are few and far in between.

I’ve read uninformed comments in Oz about the safety of the plane which all have roots in accident investigations that appear short of factual info on what happened and when ppl read pilot error too many times, they smell a rat and assume it’s the aircraft.

I personally find the plane super easy to fly, but having said that, I have allowed three other pilots to land it, and all had some minor issues getting it on the ground smoothly and one I took over the controls whilst in ground effect, so there is something in Paul’s comment that more info and training would go a long way to improving the image of our ship which I think is a brilliant little plane, if only a little under powered (IMO).
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

Thanks for the feedback folks, I can see there is not much appetite for this idea, no problem.
Let's consider the subject closed lol
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1