PROPOSAL FOR AN INDEPENDENT LIBERY XL-2 SUPPORT WEBSITE

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

Hi All,

FIRSTLY - Please see my latest post under “STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION”, if you haven’t already.

In light of the Discovery Aviation website being down, I am considering launching an independent “Liberty XL-2 Support Website” to help support XL-2 owners in the interim, at least until the company gets back online and perhaps even continuing after that, if warranted.

I believe this is an import step the for XL-2 community to take, at this time especially, in order to maintain an organized and efficient service and support hub, regardless of what happens to the factory (and I am in no way suggesting it’s demise is imminent).

In fact I have thought of launching an XL-2 support website ever since leaving Liberty back in March of 2009, as I’ve felt since way back then that there was a more efficient means of distributing the valuable & available knowledge about the aircraft, to XL-2 owners & operators.

I would not aim to replace the functions of this XL-2 support forum, but instead, I would add the functionality and ease of access to information that a forum is not designed to do.

The support website I envision would be a partially ’Community-Built’ enterprise and would house -

- Almost all the latest-available maintenance PDF files and related maintenance data for the aircraft, together with any other maintenance files that we could consolidate from XL-2 owners on this forum and which I may not have.

- A number of other maintenance support functions that I have been thinking of offering to the group, such as easier ways for XL-2 owners to track reminders for certain updates based on hours flown and calendar time limitations, etc.

- A much more organized complete blog section for both (a) maintenance and (b) flight operations, incorporating “How To” articles and videos written & created by XL-2 owners, myself, and “persons of knowledge” such as A&P’s & CFI’s with experience in the aircraft.
Think blog entries on “How to maintain your MT prop”, “How to solve common FADEC warnings”, “How to ensure you never take off with the door unlatched”, "10 Things to remember when doing your Annual", “How to clock your prop”, “Engine not starting? Here’s why”, etc. Members would also be able to add their moderated comments and suggestions under all articles.

A monthly email newsletter would go out with any updates that we, as the XL-2 Owners & Operators Community, feel we should all know about.

Monthly emails would be augmented by an “XL-2 ALERT” email that would be sent out immediately as & when (truly) important news needed to be disseminated to the XL-2 owners at short notice. All members would have the opportunity of suggesting, and contributing to, what goes into the monthly newsletter. There would be no SPAM.

In other words, a full support website, and more.

I’d love to do this all for nothing, but frankly I can’t. I’m not retired and the chance of me earning any commissions on a sale of an XL-2 these days, is unfortunately almost nonexistent. Plus there will be some direct costs in hosting, database programming, and buying the plugins to create the functionality described above.

I’m prepared to stick my neck out and say I can build what I’ve described for $1000- total. That would include a year’s worth of hosting, and I’m basing all this on my 20+ years of building websites as a part of my marketing functions. That’s a $20- investment in creating a support website for your aircraft, if 50 people sign up, or $40- if only 25 people sign up. (I have no clue how many are in this forum.) After the first year there would be some form of very basic monthly subscription, maybe $10- per month. Anyone who does not join up front, but wants to join later, would pay the monthly fee. I’m open to suggestions on this aspect.

Please let me know what you all think - yay or nay?

Your feedback welcomed, thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: PROPOSAL FOR AN INDEPENDENT LIBERY XL-2 SUPPORT WEBSITE

Post by N645XL »

Right now I’m just thinking and not coming down yay or nay. There are advantages and disadvantages to an independent website. Frankly I really thought we, the owners, had it good back when Christina was managing the technical and sales website for Liberty and we had this site for free discussion. Life was good, really. In times such as these with no support from the company there is a temptation to go independent. The drawback is the site may not get the updated documents when Discovery comes back online. When they do come back up with robust support a significant part of an independent site would become redundant. I’d think the company site would have to be the first stop to ensure we’re getting the latest technical data.

Training videos would be an interesting addition. You Tube channel? I’m not familiar with how a channel works but I’ve heard of them. Maintenance reminders is interesting too but that would require we diligently enter our tach & Hobbs. I personally have built a skinny binder with the timed items and inspections listed which I compare with the numbers after every flight when I update my flight numbers.

I guess my thoughts are leading toward a feeling another website may be overkill for a possible transitory issue. Right now most folks seem to be in need of technical data. When I bought my plane in September 2009 Liberty gave me a CDROM with the latest pubs. Maybe that’s the only bandaid we need right now. Don’t know. I’m pretty comfortable with the airframe after 11 years. I’ll let the new owners chime-in.

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Not sure we need another site. Most of what we need and be gained by reading this forums information. However if you get enough support for a new site ,I could be interested.

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT

Post by GimpyPilot »

Gang,

I am at this moment, in Ormond Beach, FL and very shortly heading back to the west coast in my newly acquired RV-7A. That said, I still own #81 and would like nothing more than to see both the community and the type thrive again. I am happy to contribute all that I can to support this group, and the work that Paul describes.

-Michael

zspitzer
Site Admin
Based: KMGJ
Tail Number: N57NY
Certificates Held: PPL, IR

Post by zspitzer »

I was considering adding a module where we could upload maintenance manuals / files. A lot of things have already been uploaded to the forum and should pop up in a search, but perhaps a dedicated indexed module would be easier.

I could also create a new forum area for people to post blog-type posts, if there's interest in a dedicated place for that?

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by tafisama »

I will support anything that goes on to make life easier for us.As a new owner I have benefited greatly by the wealth of information on this Forum.The downside is having to search for it.If what zspitzer is proposing is achievable then by all means it should be done.Having Manuals/Files uploaded in a separate module will make life easier.My understanding is the Discovery website has been down more than once and honestly we need a back up.So if this Forum can be upgraded to have Sections where we will find important info then yes let that be done as well as having that back up website.I dont see myself selling my XL2 anytime soon.

zspitzer
Site Admin

Post by zspitzer »

I've setup a document management system at https://xl2forum.com/dms/. There's also a link under the Maintenance forum on the main page.

To use the site, log into the user account (user / user), go into a folder, and it should be pretty clear how you can upload files to a folder. There are currently 3 folders, presumably more will be needed, please tell me what else we need.

There's nothing online yet, so if you have an archive please help the community by uploading PDFs!

I had been trying to find an add-on so we could keep all the files in the forum, but couldn't find a good solution, and having attachments in different forums is really what exists now in the Maintenance forum, so hopefully this is easier for everyone. If there are any questions / concerns / issues, let me know.

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL

Post by N645XL »

The only thing missing as far as I can see is the AFM folder.

zspitzer
Site Admin

Post by zspitzer »

N645XL wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:03 pm
The only thing missing as far as I can see is the AFM folder.
Just added, thanks

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

I have found this site and the people in it such as Pauland Michael, invaluable. However, like Tafisama, the only negative has been efficiently finding stuff.

I’m leaning more for than against, the initial $40-$50 sounds fine, but $120pa thereafter I’m not sure I would get the value, however it will be one of those things .... when you need help, $120 sounds fair, if you don’t use it for 5 years, not so much.

I love the idea of adding a document file to this site. Well done.

Milo
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia