RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by paulmilo »

Thanks Paul,

Let’s hope they get the Rotax (With 120hp!) over the line. It would be nice if they offered the STC for that change free of charge as it would enable the company to artificially increase the number of ‘Rotax’ Powered XL2 flying, but I somehow doubt that. Hopefully there will be some other regulatory process available to retrofit it to a 240 powered ship.

Imagine a 120hp with electrically pitch adjustable prop. 120-130kt comfortable cruise may be possible!
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

@GimpyPilot - that's good to hear about TCM, thanks for that. It's been over a year since I last spoke to anyone there, but they've always been very helpful to me from day one. Lead times have been a challenge for some customers, as (I believe) items like ECU's and Speed Sensors are made on demand and not kept on the shelf, but maybe you can clarify that.

The reason for Discovery to move to the Rotax was threefold -
- cost, as (apparently) Continental's price for a new IOF-240B-5B had gone up to the point where it was simply too expensive for their upgraded XL-2 to carry.
- plus the Rotax offers the other two advantages that most of us know about - lower weight, and the ability for overseas buyers to run their aircraft on something other than AvGas, which is getting expensive in some areas. For example my client in Inonesia was paying over US$12- per gallon for AvGas for his flight school operating five XL-2's, but he could have used MoGas at $4- per gallon if he'd had Rotax-engined aircraft.

@frfly172 - I'm confirming which Rotax model they are looking at, and will get back to you. I think it was a version of the 912 as I recall.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

What is a 540 engine? Replacement for current XL2 engine...or are you talking the IOF540?
If so who cares...that engine has nothing to do with XL2.

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

Brad,

Take a deep breath. The point is that the Aerosance/TCM FADEC system is not being abandoned or otherwise orphaned by TCM. They are using it to develop new offerings and have thus assured (directly and indirectly) that spares will continue to be available for the 240 in the XL-2. (Yes, they have said exactly this, and I am not extrapolating one from the other.)

-Michael

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

The Rotax 915 IS would be a good replacement engine.

GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

I am not a fan of Rotax anything simply because they're geared engines, but people seem to love them. There are many RV-12s flying around with the 915 IS turning the blender at this point, so it has been fairly well proven by now. I've been flying my new airplane quite a bit, but took the XL-2 out this morning just to keep her fresh. Gosh that's an easy airplane to fly, but I did not manage a clean landing by my own standards.

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by tafisama »

Rotax not best,gearbox inspection or tear down if you use avgas.The 915 will give 135 continuous horsepower which will add significant power but i will stick to my 240B

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL

Post by N645XL »

Any Rotax will likely require a re-engineered engine cowling and mount. Cha-ching.

GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

N645XL wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:06 pm
Any Rotax will likely require a re-engineered engine cowling and mount. Cha-ching.
I'm not so sure this is the case. The XL-2 was apparently designed with a Rotax in mind in the "beginning", which is supposedly why one can see that the Continental motor is slightly offset when looking at the aircraft nose on. Liberty had an XL-2 flying with behind Rotax 912S back in 2011.

See the video linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQ-Iw8kt_E

-Michael
Last edited by GimpyPilot on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

APinspector12B
Based: KTIX
Tail Number: N578XL
Certificates Held: A&P/ASEL/IA

Post by APinspector12B »

The Rotax Concept:
The Rotax 914 was in an early experimental version of the XL2. This pre-dated the existence of the newer Fuel injected Rotax engines and the now certified 912. There were significant changes to the cowling to address the two radiators necessary for any Rotax 4 cycle/4 cylinder. The cowling resembled a cowling that would look at home on a PT6 powered airframe. (think TBM750) The aircraft at the 2011 S&F had a 912 on it, but never flew. It is completely feasible though. A new engine mount and engine sensor suite (for all the gages, etc) would be necessary. The newer Fuel Injected Rotax engine would be a better choice though.