RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - 💥 UPDATED 07-24-21

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 01-28-21

Post by GimpyPilot »

paulmilo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:44 am WOW!

It never ceases to amaze me how generous some of the members of this group are...
Even more amazing is that neither of the two guy leading this effort with the FAA and the new website own XL-2s any longer. I sold mine last August, but I want the type to survive and thrive, so I check back here almost every day. Thanks to Ed and Paul both!
Glideslope
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N527XL
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by Glideslope »

Definitely grateful for their work in helping all of us. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. It’s in all of our best interest that this ends without the FAA being the TC owner.
bobbailey
Based: London UK
Tail Number: N518XL

Post by bobbailey »

So grateful for the work being done on behalf of XL2 owners. We feel a bit 'out on a limb' here in the UK. Is there any news on the support website mentioned in an earlier post?
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

[EDITED LAUNCH DATE :shock: We incurred additional issues that can only be solved by tech support on Monday.]

Thanks for asking, I was going to post an update here today anyway.

Yes, I've been working my tail off for weeks on the site, part-time. We have literally thousands of files and dozens and dozens of page we're uploading.
It was supposed to be launched weeks ago, but, well, TECHNOLOGY got in the way. As a good friend told me the other day when I said I think I'm 98% there - "Oh cool, then you're about half way done!" 😅 Sometimes I think he's right!

There are a lot of moving parts to this project, and more that we want to add in the future, but rather than wait for it all to be perfect, we're going to launch it this coming week regardless and keep working on it from there.

Thank for everyone's patience in the interim.
Last edited by XL2driver on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

That's great to hear, Paul. As you know, I sold #81 on last year, but I still keep in touch with the type. It was a great airplane for me, though for some reason I find my new airplane, (an RV-7A), exponentially easier to land. Maybe that's another great thing about the XL-2. It teaches you to land with precision.

Incidentally, I bought the RV just up the road from you in Ormond Beach. It's a joy to fly, does things the Liberty does not and is extraordinarily well supported, but it is of course "Experimental" and that's not for everyone. (For example, only the owner/operator may receive compensated training in the airplane unless you're willing to let someone use your airplane free of charge. Carriage of persons or property for compensation or hire is prohibited as part of the operating limitations of experimental aircraft. That said, you can pay an instructor when training in an experimental.)
XL2driver

Post by XL2driver »

Thank you Michael, I hope you will stick with us and add your valuable knowledge to this group as we go forward.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
cmeleg
Based: M54
Tail Number: N541XL
Certificates Held: Student

Post by cmeleg »

Any updates on this that can be shared?
XL2driver

RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 04-28-21

Post by XL2driver »

I was kindly notified today by forum member paulmilo that Discovery Aviation has relaunched their old website at - https://www.discoveryaviation.us/
Not sure if the contact info on the site is current, I haven't made contact with them yet.
Looks like they also reinstated the Florida company on 02/23/2021.

Apparently they still need an FAA Audit before they can start supplying parts, not sure how long that will take, I've heard rumors from ex-Discovery personnel that it might take 6 months or more, but that's just speculation. Hopefully Discovery will make an announcement soon to clarify things.

I'm still working on our own independent website, will launch soon regardless of what Discovery do.
That's all I can tell you for now.
Maintain VSO+1
GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

Wow! That’s great news!

Incidentally, my old Support credentials seem to work in the relaunched site, and all the documents are there.
Glideslope
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N527XL

Post by Glideslope »

Fingers crossed they actually come back and do something with the company. Definitely positive they spent the money to bring it back online. Thanks for all the updates and work on this!