RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - 💥 UPDATED 07-24-21

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by GimpyPilot »

paulmilo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:59 am
My understanding in Australia is that certification is not affected, so the only issue would be access to the 500hr parts nose pin and tail flange. Is there any other consumables from Discovery?

The big issue is if you have an accident and damage the fuselage or wings. To a lesser degree, maybe if want to do the MTOW mod or rudder pedals and the like, it may prove a bit difficult, otherwise I am not sure that this is really a huge deal for most owners.
My understanding of US FAA certification regulations is similar. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but under FAA Part 91, owners can manufacture replacement parts for owned airplanes, as long as those parts are made to the identical, certified specification. Such parts may not be offered for sale. The nose lock pin and tail plane attachment lugs are very simple parts and can be made up by any machinist with access to a lathe or CNC machine. In fact I had a few sets of each in my spares inventory and I was going to measure them up for CNC reproduction, but I never got around to it. Perhaps the new owner of #81 (and all its spares) could have them measured and drawn in SolidWorks. (Anyone else who has a set of unused parts could do this too, and I know that a few people were able to buy some several months ago.) Those files could be shared with the community so that owners could have parts made up easily, in case Discovery does not come out of hibernation or make its parts inventory available by some means.

There are a couple of people who have some "inside knowledge" of what is (or isn't) going on, but they're not sharing. That alone suggests that the company hasn't thrown in the towel just yet.

-Michael
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

I have a set, what material are they made of as I will see if I can get something made.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia
GimpyPilot

Post by GimpyPilot »

paulmilo wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 am I have a set, what material are they made of as I will see if I can get something made.
I don't recall, but a good machinist should be able to identify the correct materials, given the factory part. You'll probably want to find someone with considerable experience in CAD/CNC so that precision is the order of the day, and you end up with engineering drawings/files that may be shared with the group.
BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by BRADLOUTH »

I just have one question for those in the know here. If the Plane Certificate is surrendered or lost by Discovery...does that mean all of our planes become unflyable ( not legally flyable) or do we simply continue to operate as before .....and have to scrounge up parts...??
GimpyPilot

Re: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by GimpyPilot »

BRADLOUTH wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:00 pm I just have one question for those in the know here. If the Plane Certificate is surrendered or lost by Discovery...does that mean all of our planes become unflyable ( not legally flyable) or do we simply continue to operate as before .....and have to scrounge up parts...??

Brad,

Based on the following document, (also linked earlier in this thread), you should be fine.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 10.120.pdf

-Michael
BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Post by BRADLOUTH »

TNX
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

Latest update as of Oct 21st 2020 -

1) As of Sept 25th 2020, the Florida company Discovery Aviation Inc has been declared "Inactive" by the State of Florida, see attached.
There is another Delaware Company that is also named "Discovery Aviation" that I believe was somehow linked to the Florida corporation (which itself was designated as a 'Foreign Corporation' by the State of Florida), but Delaware doesn't allow us to see the status of a Delaware company without payment of a $10- fee.

2) Feedback from elsewhere received today indicates that Discovery Aviation's assets will most likely go to auction. I have asked the MLB airport authority to let me know as soon as that happens. There is a lot of quite valuable equipment that was in the factory, besides the aircraft engines etc. Just the inventorying and valuing of this equipment, will take a good while.

3) BigPhoto, who is on this forum and used to be an XL-2 owner (and was a big supporter of the aircraft), was with the FAA for many years. I spoke with him today and he is helping us by sending an email to the FAA today, to confirm -
a) what process needs to be followed (or should be / should have been followed) by the manufacturer in a case like this, and
b) to ask what actions XL-2 owners need to take to protect their interests in their aircraft, if any.
(Bigphoto is well aware of the contents of FAA_Order_8110.120 )

4) Today I put a call in to a local Florida attorney who I know and who's reputation I trust, to ask him what steps a formal "XL-2 Owners Group" might be able to take against the company or the assets that have been left behind by the company. I'll know more later today about this and will update this comment then.

I'll be making another post shortly about creating an official "XL-2 Owners Group", please look out for that.

Thanks
Attachments
COMPANY_INACTIVE_REPORT_9-25-20.pdf
(121.17 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY

Post by tafisama »

XL2driver wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:21 pm Latest update as of Oct 21st 2020 -

1) As of Sept 25th 2020, the Florida company Discovery Aviation Inc has been declared "Inactive" by the State of Florida, see attached.
There is another Delaware Company that is also named "Discovery Aviation" that I believe was somehow linked to the Florida corporation (which itself was designated as a 'Foreign Corporation' by the State of Florida), but Delaware doesn't allow us to see the status of a Delaware company without payment of a $10- fee.

2) Feedback from elsewhere received today indicates that Discovery Aviation's assets will most likely go to auction. I have asked the MLB airport authority to let me know as soon as that happens. There is a lot of quite valuable equipment that was in the factory, besides the aircraft engines etc. Just the inventorying and valuing of this equipment, will take a good while.

3) BigPhoto, who is on this forum and used to be an XL-2 owner (and was a big supporter of the aircraft), was with the FAA for many years. I spoke with him today and he is helping us by sending an email to the FAA today, to confirm -
a) what process needs to be followed (or should be / should have been followed) by the manufacturer in a case like this, and
b) to ask what actions XL-2 owners need to take to protect their interests in their aircraft, if any.
(Bigphoto is well aware of the contents of FAA_Order_8110.120 )

4) Today I put a call in to a local Florida attorney who I know and who's reputation I trust, to ask him what steps a formal "XL-2 Owners Group" might be able to take against the company or the assets that have been left behind by the company. I'll know more later today about this and will update this comment then.

I'll be making another post shortly about creating an official "XL-2 Owners Group", please look out for that.

Thanks
Thank you very much XL2 Driver for your efforts for us.I hope all owners could be reached so that a united approach can be drafted.
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY

Post by paulmilo »

Thanks for the update and continued efforts to secure a better outcome for owners Paul / BigPhoto
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia
Glideslope
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N527XL

Post by Glideslope »

Definitely let us know if you hear anything on the auction or access to parts. I would be open to being a bidder on what they have. Obviously I want our community to thrive so if there is a way to get our hands on what’s left maybe we can find ways to continue producing the hard to find pieces through reverse engineering, or better yet the original schematics of the parts they inventoried. From what I understand outside of the composites they produced, everything was outsourced to third parties to be machined? Can anyone attest to that?