RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 01-28-21

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
BRADLOUTH
Based: KBDR/KPSM
Tail Number: N588XL
Certificates Held: Commercial-SEL / Instrument Airplane

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by BRADLOUTH »

I also am interested in buying any spare parts that may be left...if you hear any details and/or have bidding details please let me know.
I would also would consider being a part of a bidding group.

Best...Brad Louth
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

Thanks for the responses, I'll let you all know as soon as I hear more, but no further word yet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
XL2driver

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 12-14-20

Post by XL2driver »

UPDATE 12-14-20

REQUEST FILED WITH FAA TO INVESTIGATE DISCOVERY AVIATION AND THE ABANDONMENT OF THEIR SUPPORT OF THE LIBERTY XL-2

With the help of a forum member who is both ex-FAA and a prior owner of an XL-2, and representing a number of XL-2 owners across the world, we have today filed an 'official' hotline request with the FAA to look into the situation at Discovery Aviation, with the aim of determining -
- exactly what is going on with the company,
- how the company intends to provide future support for the XL-2 aircraft fleet
- how the company will support it's ownership of the aircraft Certificate, which as far as we are concerned they have abandoned.

Also - feedback from the MLB Airport Authority received today, is that Discovery Aviation or their investors have still not settled any deal with the airport that would allow the airport to release the assets of the company.

Will keep you advised as things progress.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1
Sandro
Based: Eyks
Tail Number: YLMFA
Certificates Held: Ppl

Post by Sandro »

paulmilo wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 am I have a set, what material are they made of as I will see if I can get something made.
Hello,

I will be interested to purchase a set of it, my 500 hrs is not far ahead. I can support upfront the costs of manufacturing etc.

Sincerely
Sandro
XL2driver

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 01-04-21

Post by XL2driver »

Hi Folks,
I received word today (Mon Jan 4th 2021) indicating that the MLB airport authority is 'moving towards a settlement' with Discovery Aviation (or the backers who represent the remains of Discovery.)
Nothing concrete yet, but it's a glimmer of hope that things may be going in the right direction.
Keep the faith, I will update you all on further developments.
Maintain VSO+1
Glideslope
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N527XL
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by Glideslope »

Hope they work something out. Thanks for the update!!
frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Thanks
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY

Post by paulmilo »

Will be interesting to see what happens.

In case it still goes belly up, I’m looking into whether the aircraft can be moved onto the Experimental Register as an orphan which has some advantages such as non certified avionics.

From what I can tell, the biggest benefit of certification is resale value which in Aust at least, is pretty low, so Experimental may be a good outcome.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia
XL2driver

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 01-28-21

Post by XL2driver »

Hi Folks,

FYI we had a good Zoom call discussion a short while ago today with members of the Orlando FAA office, to discuss the situation at Discovery Aviation, ongoing support for the XL-2, etc.
Things are moving forward now, and we are scheduled to get an update from them Thursday next week after they have contacted Discovery and the MLB Airport Authority.
As I understand it, their first objective is to figure out if Discovery has the ability to reinstate support for the XL-2.
If for any reason they can't, then a third party person or company would be sort after to take over the TC.
And if no one steps up to take it, then the FAA will be forced to take it over (worst case, not what we want).
We will keep you updated.

In another positive and related development - one of the members of this forum has generously stepped up and paid for the development of the Liberty XL-2 support website that I had proposed some time ago. I'll be submitting a new post about that when it's launched, hopefully by this time next week.
Together, I believe we can create a platform that will support XL-2 owners worldwide.
Maintain VSO+1
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATED 01-28-21

Post by paulmilo »

WOW!

It never ceases to amaze me how generous some of the members of this group are, with their time and it appears, their money!

———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia