RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by GimpyPilot »

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the information, "straight from the source" so to speak. This is much appreciated.
The aircraft at the 2011 S&F had a 912 on it, but never flew.
....Gosh I hate it when this sort of misrepresentation is presented at shows.

-Michael

tmpendergrass
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N143AL
Certificates Held: CSEL IR

Post by tmpendergrass »

In the process of purchasing an XL2. Glad to hear its not completely impossible to get parts for these planes, however, if I were to need a part, who do I call? The discovery phone is disconnected and they have zero web presence.

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by N645XL »

About 2 months ago I was told there'd be a blackout for 4-6 months as they moved their operations. WRT parts, it really depends on what you need and when you need it so the question is hard to answer. Lots of parts Liberty/Discovery Aviation sourced from common items. Discovery specific parts may have to wait until they re-home their ops or check here for anyone with spares.

tmpendergrass
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N143AL
Certificates Held: CSEL IR

Post by tmpendergrass »

N645XL wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:53 pm
About 2 months ago I was told there'd be a blackout for 4-6 months as they moved their operations. WRT parts, it really depends on what you need and when you need it so the question is hard to answer. Lots of parts Liberty/Discovery Aviation sourced from common items. Discovery specific parts may have to wait until they re-home their ops or check here for anyone with spares.
Gotcha. Kinda odd that Discovery seems completely MIA at the moment. Glad to see there seems to be an active community keeping these planes flying and I won't be alone with an orphaned airplane.

CirrusDriver
Based: KSOP
Tail Number: N8127A
Certificates Held: SEL, Instrument

Post by CirrusDriver »

XL2 Driver,

Any update on Discovery since June? Does anyone know the status of Discovery? Are they going to reemerge or fade away into the dark?

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

They are still unreachable as of last week. There are quite a few mechanics familiar with the airplane so technically we only need discovery for a few parts.

Crashnburn5590
Based: KRHV
Tail Number: N
Certificates Held: Student Pilot

Post by Crashnburn5590 »

I accidentally crashed my computer 2 weeks ago, and in the process of recovery, I started consolidating a bunch of my links, including to the Liberty/Discovery website. I discovered that none of my Discovery links works any more. Is there any more word on Discovery's fate?

I've never been an owner, and have had only one flight in a Liberty XL, but it has always interested me since it was first introduced. The Vanguard weight upgrade makes its useable load just barely adequate for my wife, our luggage, and me, and considering the XL was originally designed for a Rotax 912 ULS, I'd be very interested in swapping out a run-out IOF-240 for a Rotax 912 iSc, especially as it would significantly increase the useful load, and reduce the fuel burn.

It used to be pretty easy to convert certified to experimental, but the FAA has really tightened it down, and I'm not sure there are any hoops you can jump through to make it experimental anymore.