RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by XL2driver »

Folks, with the website down for the past two weeks and the phone lines apparently also turned off, I am sure that a number of XL-2 owners are concerned about the status of the company. I am too.

Although I am not an XL-2 owner, as many of you know I worked as Regional Sales Manager & Biz. Manager for Liberty Aerospace for almost five years, and since then I have invested a tremendous amount of time and energy in this aircraft over the past 15 years with regards to training, aircraft re-sales, spares support and general support of the aircraft and it's value in the marketplace.

I believe we all deserve to know what is going on with the company, and to this end I have addressed correspondence to the investors to ask what the status is, and if there is anything that the XL-2 owners & operators community can do to help with whatever challenges they are facing. That email was sent out today.

I will do my best to continue to followup and find out what I can, and I will report back here with any findings that I can share.

In the interim, I would encourage XL-2 owners not to panic or jump to any conclusions about what may have happened. I was in contact with the investors a couple of months ago, and received a positive response with regards to the future plans for the company. I am hoping that those sentiments are still in place.

I will post another update in this thread by the end of next week, if not earlier.

Be safe out there.
🙏🏼
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N605XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION

Post by GimpyPilot »

Thank you, Paul.

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

Much appreciated :-). I was hoping that some of their plans for the future might include a Rotax engine, perhaps with a variable pitch prop. Would love to see that happen.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by tafisama »

Thanks a lot.I was contemplating going experimental if they have closed.

XL2driver

Re: RE: STATUS OF DISCOVERY AVIATION - UPDATE MONDAY 1ST JUNE 2020

Post by XL2driver »

UPDATE MONDAY 1ST JUNE 2020

Thanks for your feedback on this subject.

I have since been in contact with the company and the investors over the past few days.

All I can say at this stage is that the company has not been "abandoned" by the investors or anything close to that, but they are going through a difficult time. I am told that every effort is being taken to remedy the current situation and bring at least the support services back online ASAP. As the movie said, “it’s complicated”.

I hope to have more concrete news soon and will post another update by next Monday 8th June, if not before.

Please see my next new thread post titled "PROPOSAL FOR AN INDEPENDENT LIBERY XL-2 SUPPORT WEBSITE"

Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Appreciate the update Thanks

XL2driver

Post by XL2driver »

@paulmilo - from my understandings of what Discovery's plans are, the Rotax engine is the only way forward that they are planning. The FADEC IOF-240B5B will be history in the new version of the XL-2, due to the hgh costs of purchase & maintenance of it.

@tafisama - going experimental may be a way for XL-2's to keep flying if support dissappears, but apparently there are challenges to doing this. Let's hope we don't have to take this route.

Anotehr update on Monday 6/8/20
Maintain VSO+1

frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

Going experimental isn’t as easy as it sounds. You can’t just declare the airplane is experimental, could be difficult depending on the FISDO involved.

frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

do we have any idea of what Rotax they are going to use?

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N605XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

Folks,

I have been in consistent contact with TCM Continental. They have assured me that they have no plans of abandoning our engine. Those of us that have the continental engine will continue to have support. Endpoint of fact they are currently developing support for a 540 engine, which is further confirmation of continued support. I am happy to share my contacts there with anyone who wishes to confirm.