Questions to Owner of XL2

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
Felixmp907
Based: KSHV
Tail Number: Pending
Certificates Held: CPL SE/ME

Questions to Owner of XL2

Post by Felixmp907 »

Nice to meet you all.

I am a CPL Holder considering purchasing an XL2 aircraft. I am looking for some XL2 aircraft, and I have actually seen them, but I have some questions. Currently, the aircraft manufacturer website is blocked, so I can't ask them any questions, so I upload a new topic here.

1. I know the IOF-240 engine is no longer in production. Does anyone know of a shop that can overhaul this engine?
2. Is FADEC diagnostic kit required for annual inspection? In my opinion, the previous owner of this XL2 will not provide the diagnostic kit. Does anyone have ever purchased this diagnostic kit separately?
3. As far as I know, for design reasons, XL2 aircraft often do damage to the bottom of Vertical Stabilizer. The XL2 is not produced, but are the parts still available?

I am interested in XL2 aircraft. However, as the owner before I finally bought it, I thought it would take a lot of work on this XL2 aircraft. It seems that the aircraft manufacturer is still open, but I'm not sure, so I ask you.

As a private owner, other useful hints are also welcome.

Thank you.

L . P

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N605XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Re: Questions to Owner of XL2

Post by GimpyPilot »

1. The IOF-240B5B can be produced new, given a special order placed directly to Continental. Continental can also remanufacture your existing engine for you. It is simply an IO-240 with a FADEC engine management system. Anyone who can rebuild an IO-240 can overhaul it, but the FADEC system will need replacement (or overhaul) separately.
2. If by "diagnostic kit" you are referring to the PowerLink software and the cable, then the software is freely available for download directly from TCM or copied from any current owner. The cable is fairly simple. I have two of them. I suspect they would be simply fabricated, if they cannot be ordered. For the record, the a Phase 1 Diagnostic procedure is NOT required at annual inspection, however it is recommended.
3. As I understand it, most parts are available from Discovery Aviation including those required to build several airplanes, however there are no engines, because they are currently seeking recertification with a Rotax engine. I have never heard that the vertical stabilizer is a frequent damage item on the XL-2. In fact, I have never heard of such damage, and I have owned mine, and been a very active member of these forums for about seven years. Perhaps your seller is not being entirely honest with you.

The company is currently moving from one facility to another, and may be difficult to reach.

Good luck. Proceed with caution.

Felixmp907
Based: KSHV
Tail Number: Pending
Certificates Held: CPL SE/ME

Post by Felixmp907 »

Thanks for your answer. It’s really helpful to me.

I’m still wanna buy it. But, I’d rather get more considering before purchase airplane.

I said again, Thank you.

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

I would recommend that you read through the forum posts as most of your questions have been covered. You can then get a more in depth understanding of the aircraft. The aircraft and engine are still being supported at this time. There are a few for sale at widely different asking prices. Good luck

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL

Post by N645XL »

Perhaps the seller was referring to the lower rudder being vulnerable to damage If not tied-off with something like a bungee cord around the stick, the rudder will blow with the wind and if strong enough the rudder will contact the stabilator. Remember to bungee it post-flight and it’s not a problem.

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N605XL

Post by GimpyPilot »

That's certainly a possibility. In addition to making sure to secure the controls when parked on a ramp, I have fitted both sides of the rudder with small teflon disks at the point where the corners of the elevators and rudder can contact each other. This has worked well for several years. If anyone would like a few disks, I have several left over.
Attachments
StarTailOn.jpeg

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

Discs not a bad solution. Shame the did not manufacture an extra cm or two clearance
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Post by paulmilo »

Prior owner will not provide the diagnostics or does not have them?

If they have it and will not provide it, that to me would be a concern and I would avoid the aircraft as it just sounds like they are hiding something.

If they don’t have it or never used it, quite possible and nothing to necessarily be concerned about. I still have not run the diagnostics on my aircraft which I have owned for 2 years.

Very easy to fly and very easy to maintain (so far).
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

I have the equipment needed to run a check but have never done one.