Cheap Rudder Lock

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY
Certificates Held: PPL

Cheap Rudder Lock

Post by tafisama »

MODERATOR NOTE
Images removed so no one tries to make this, but I'm going to leave the thread because of the below discussion about the safety of gust locks
---

When I bought my XL2,there was this thing I could not make out where it belonged to.Two weeks ago,my Avionics guy figured out its place

Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Re: Cheap Rudder Lock

Post by Bigphoto »

Hey it works!

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

I like it... but I would need a stepladder to place and remove it.

tafisama

Post by tafisama »

I decided to bend the stud to follow the rudder profile to avoid abrasion on the components.I also changed to using wing nuts for easier and safer tightening.My stud is an M10x160mm long.The plywood bits are 20mm thickx340mm long.The hole is 160mm from one end.

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N418RT

Post by GimpyPilot »

Very cool.

XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Re: Cheap Rudder Lock - AND A BAD IDEA

Post by XL2driver »

First time I've ever seen that one. An interesting idea indeed, BUT A VERY BAD ONE.

Why? There is tons of information out there about why external control locks are a very bad idea on aircraft, and when you can accomplish the same result with a simple bungee cord looped from the stick to one rudder pedal, which can NEVER be forgotten when you get into the aircraft, I would only ask one question - WHY would you want such a device on your aircraft?

My advice would be to trash it right away. Seriously. There's a good reason why the factory never created an external rudder lock for the XL-2. It's called LIABILITY. With a lock like that installed, one day you or your buddy pilots could well have a pre-coffee moment or be 'in a rush' or talking on your phone during the preflight, miss the check, and then wonder why the heck the rudder won't do what it's supposed to be doing when you need it. And because you're using mostly differential braking to get to the threshold, the chances are high that you won't discover the error until well into the takeoff roll, or even after liftoff on a calm day.

Think I'm being dramatic? Just do this search for gust lock accidents -
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CAw&uact=5

Sorry, not a fan at all. Please - junk it.
Just my 2c.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1

N645XL
Based: I19
Tail Number: N645XL

Post by N645XL »

Even professional crews have forgotten gust locks. I’m with XL2 Driver. I use a bungee cord hooked to the right rudder pedal. Stick it in the right seat headrest when you’re ready to put your feet on the pedals.

tafisama

Post by tafisama »

Thanks for pointing this out.I definitely overlooked the cons of it.May I have this thread deleted please.

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY

Post by paulmilo »

Good quality bungee between rudder and stick is definitely easy and works well. Also easy to stow.

I have now gotten into the habit of putting it on every time I get out of the aircraft, even for 5 min to refuel. Can be fitted or removed whilst seated in the aircraft and can even be left on whilst I taxi from the fuel point to the hangar.

If parked outside, I sometimes use the seat belt to hold the stick and it effectively increases the tension on the bungee at the same time.

Simple.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

XL2driver
Based: 7FL6
Tail Number: NXXXX
Certificates Held: Comm, CFII, Airplane MEL&S

Post by XL2driver »

Yes Paul - thanks for adding that info about the seat belt, I forgot to mention that, probably because that's a habit I do in the XL-2 anyway.

So to recap - the correct procedure to secure ALL flight control surfaces, is to -
1) First secure the stick in the full aft position by using the seat belt lap strap tightened around the stick just *below* (and not on) the rubber grip handle. Also be sure to adjust the seat buckle into a position off to the side of the stick, so that the metal of the buckle does not rub against the stick, otherwise you'll start taking paint off the stick; then
2) Secure a suitable length bungee cord around the right hand rudder pedal, and then aft to around the seat belt strap or around the stick, so that the right rudder is pulled full aft. (There is a preferred approx length for the bungee cord, but just about any shortish bungee cord will work with some adjustment).
Now you have all the flight controls fully secured and with "almost zero chance"** of a pilot being able to go flying without disengaging them.

** And having said all that, I just heard (July 2020) recently about a guy (I think he was here in Florida) who did in fact try to take off in an XL-2 with the rudder pedal still secured around the stick with a bungee cord. Apparently he "didn't notice it" ... 🙄 I believe this happened quite a while ago, not recently, am trying to find out more details. I guess if you're not paying ANY attention whatsoever, wacky things can still happen despite having a "foolproof" system in place.

[My thanks to the Moderator for leaving this important thread up.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintain VSO+1