Dual Garmin G5 Install

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
Glideslope
Based: KSNA
Tail Number: N527XL
Certificates Held: PPL

Dual Garmin G5 Install

Post by Glideslope »

It's been a crazy 12 months with a long wait for overhaul and fun maintenance issues that finally got resolved. I recently sent my Liberty in to get the Dual G5 setup since Garmin finally STC'd it for our planes. I think this is the first Liberty to have it done so I wanted to show the final result.

Think I am going to be pretty happy with it. I will post more photos once I get it back.

Installed Items:

Dual Garmin G5 PFD/HSI Setup w/Backup Batteries
GMU 11 Magnetometer to replace DG on HSI screen
GAD 29B GPS interface for GPS coupling to GNS 530W
GAD 13 interface with GTP 59 OAT sensor for new data now available on screen: OAT, TAS, Density Altitude, and Winds Aloft
Flightstream 210 for Foreflight interaction, AHRS and ADSB-In (GTX 345 onboard has it also)
Mid-Continent 3amp USB Power replacement for Davtron Clock. OAT on G5 now so USB/clock made more sense.

Garmin G5-1.jpg

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY

Re: Dual Garmin G5 Install

Post by tafisama »

That looks very good.Are you going to install an auto pilot at some stage.I am still deciding what to install cheaply.Our $AUD has now gone down badly which will mean,its going to cost more so I will put that on hold till probably next year.

Glideslope

Post by Glideslope »

Doubt I will go with the auto-pilot. I am sure it would be nice to have, but I bought the plane for stick and rudder skills and training through my IFR and potentially Commercial. I only fly 2 to 3 hours max at a time so it doesn't bug me to hand fly. The cost/benefit isn't really there for me.

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N605XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

Nice looking panel, my friend!

Lets meet in the middle for lunch sometime.

Glideslope

Post by Glideslope »

For sure man..once I get back flying over next few weeks and if we all survive the toilet paper shortage of 2020, let’s grab lunch. I will get Paul and we can do a mini fly-in.

paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY

Post by paulmilo »

Cost benefit probably does not warrant an auto pilot, but I bet you will appreciate it if you do IFR trg in the aircraft, especially when things get busy.

In Australia we need to do a NVFR endorsement which is about 10hrs (min). Where I flew, like much of Oz, there are great tracts of blackness so you are on instruments a lot of the time, practically all the time where I trained. In fact, I never flew over a city for any of my training. When I was being grilled by the instructor about this or that, it was easy to wander off heading a few degrees or climb 100’. I always caught it before busting the imposed limits, but a few times I wished I had auto pilot to allow me to focus on other stuff I was doing.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

frfly172
Based: Kowd ksrq
Tail Number: N591xl
Certificates Held: ATP MEl sel

Post by frfly172 »

Have the Stec 30 in my aircraft, really comes in handy for flying IMC In busy airspace. The G5 install looks good.

Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Post by Bigphoto »

frfly172 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:42 am
Have the Stec 30 in my aircraft, really comes in handy for flying IMC In busy airspace. The G5 install looks good.
Ditto!