Retro EFIS?

General discussion of the plane, flying, or anything else.
paulmilo
Based: YMNG
Tail Number: KXY
Certificates Held: PPL

Retro EFIS?

Post by paulmilo »

I must admit I have a strong bias for a 6 pack, be it beer or instruments. Although I like the idea of the EFIS, I’m not a big fan of the Evolution option which I think messes with the look of the panel.

I don’t mind the G5 which is now certified for the Liberty, but again, sticking a square instrument into a round hole still does not sit right with me.

However, I recently noticed the uAvionix AV-30 option which promises similar functionality of the G5, but I think won’t mess with the current cosmetics of the plane. Update the VM with the new colour version of the JPI EDM900 and should be a good option for the Liberty I think.

Anybody else potentially considering this down the track? I’m waiting for their certification process to be completed.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY

Re: Retro EFIS?

Post by tafisama »

I like the price Paul and might look into it.I hate continually aligning the gyro one to compass.Have you upgraded your transponder yet?I am trying to figure out which type to go with.

Bigphoto
Based: KLKU
Tail Number: N207AU
Certificates Held: Commercial airplane single/mult IFR, ATC

Post by Bigphoto »

Greetings my two cents: Of course when I brought my Liberty it already had the ASPEN 1000 in it so of course I put another ASPEN with MFD and later upgraded both to the ASPEN MAX which allowed me to get rid of the round dials although I did keep the electric altitude. I actually have been following the AV-30 and will probably put that where my electric altitude indicator is now.

I spoke with JPI at Airventure 2019 and they told me that the EDM 900 wasn't certify for the Liberty even when I showed them the paperwork indicating that Liberty was on it they said that was a mistake and they were going to update it. I think the 900 would be the perfect replacement for the Micro 1000 system. Just not sure what to use to replace it. Let me know if you have any updated information on it? Do we know what Discovery-Aviation put into the the three XL-2 they sold to Korea earlier this year?

GimpyPilot
Based: KVNY
Tail Number: N605XL
Certificates Held: PP-ASEL

Post by GimpyPilot »

Ed,

That's interesting. I've been told on prior occasions, by JPI and Discovery, that the EDM 900 is included on the STC. Furthermore, DIscovery had an XL-2 at Airventure clear back in 2016 that actually had an EDM 900 in the panel. I think that whomever you spoke with this year was probably misinformed. See SA01435SE as amended as recently as September 2018. The XL-2 appears to have been specifically added as part of an amendment to the AML in August of 2016, after Airventure.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

Tafisama: my DG is pretty dodgy as well. I tend to use the heading from the GPS 430. I align the DG when I remember or start fly8ng off in the wrong direction lol

The only issue with the Av30 that I see is that it’s not a compass like the Garmin G5, it seems to also be a Gyro DG, but hopefully without the half arse precession problems of the current Liberty version. It would be a shame if it does not eventually get upgraded to have a compass ala the G5.

I’m rarely getting into controlled airspace so I have no adsb certification plans at this stage. I’ll no doubt wait to the 11th hour, in fact I’m not even sure when the mandated date is. My tpdr works fine and ATC can ask me who I am and what altitude I am flying as far as I’m concerned ;-)
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia

tafisama
Based: Adelaide,SA
Tail Number: XLY

Post by tafisama »

Next week,I am having my Altimeter,Transponder,Compass Swing checked/calibrated.I was thinking it can be done an RA-Aus Lame but have been told it`s a critical job requiring special equipment.I will keep my GTX 327 for some time as well till I get a cheaper Mode S Extended Squiter one on Ebay.
True the current Liberty DG is no good at all.

paulmilo

Post by paulmilo »

If you are getting the calibrations done for your own piece of mind and not a log book entry, provided the RAAus L2 can take the measurements I am not sure why you would need a LAME. Sounds like they are trying to get money from you.

RA aircraft fly in the same airspace in many cases so provided the L2 is experienced, I would not be concerned. As for being critical, you can generally get a pretty good idea of the Altimeter accuracy on the ground by cross referencing known altitude and local pressure, compass swing can also be checked and In any case, compass readings when flying always appear approximate to me as the bloody thing bounces around - certainly not critical. I fly VFR and generally outside airspace, so the transponder is more a legality than anything, That said, when I have flown in busy corridors, I have often heard ATC refer to my transponder ping and unverified altitude and it’s always been an accurate reading. Again....critical? Not IMO.
———————
Milo VH-KXY
Australia